Patient Resources


When you first find out your child has Autism it can be very overwhelming, Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine is here to offer support and provide answers and resources to all of your questions. Here is a list of our go to resources, please reach out to our Care Coordinators with any questions.

– Applied Behavioral Analyst (ABA): This is an Autism specific therapy that focuses on the science of learning and behavior. Here you can find a list of local ABA agencies and what you need to get started on the process.

– Have more questions on ABA? See attached pdf by Autism Speaks or visit their website at

– Autism Connections: Autism Connections is a go to resources for support groups, sensory-friendly events, training/education and school support. Check out their website at .Don't forget to sign up for their monthly newsletter.

– Toilet Training Concerns: Autism Speaks has put together an introduction packet on toilet training for children with Autism.

– Dental Visits can be challenging for children with Autism. Autism Speaks has put together a Autism Speaks Dental Tool Kit that reviews helpful tips and tricks to have a successful dental visit. Our office has also put together a list of Dentists who have experience with working with children of all abilities.

Children with Disabilities:

– Down Syndrome Resource group of Western Mass: Provides resources for expecting parents and parents/guardians of children with Down Syndrome website.

– Exceptional Lives: Provides information and resources for children with Autism, Early Intervention Services, How to obtain government supplied benefits ( Social Security, Disability, Insurance), 504/IEPs, and Guardianship.

Family Ties:
Parent to Parent Information & Match Request Form

Courageous Parents Network: Courageous Parents Network is a non-profit organization and educational platform that orients, empowers and accompanies families and providers caring for children with serious illnesses. This platform displays videos of families with children who have serious illnesses and discusses important topics like heart transplant, tracheostomy, G-Tube insertion, palliative care, bereavement, and so much more.

Department of Disability Services: The Department of Developmental Services provides support for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities including Autism Spectrum Disorder to enhance opportunities to become fully engaged members of their community.

DDS Eligibility Application birth-4 yrs

DDS Eligibility Application 5yr-22

Whole Children, Hadley MA: Whole Children provides recreational, social and enrichment programs for children and teens of all abilities, including those with special needs. We provide valuable resources for their families and facilitate inclusion with the larger community.

Greater Massachusetts Special Needs Event: This website is created by a parent of a child who has Asperger's, due to their never-ending quest for programs and services. This website features all local events and camps for children and families with Autism, ADHD, and Down Syndrome.

Special Education Alliance of Longmeadow S.E.A.L Has created an Amazing List of adaptive sports for children with all levels of abilities.

Transitioning from Pediatrics to Adult Care/Guardianship:

– What is Healthcare Transition?
Health care transition, or HCT, is the process of moving from a child/family-centered model of health care to an adult/patient-centered model of health care, with or without transferring to a new clinician. It involves planning, transfer, and integration into adult-centered health care.
Got Transition aims to help youth and young adults move from pediatric to adult health care.
Transitioning out to an Adult Health Care Clinician -Six Core Elements of Healthcare Transition
The goals of health care transition are:

  1. To improve the ability of youth and young adults with and without special health care needs to manage their own health care and effectively use health services, and
  2. To ensure an organized process in pediatric and adult health care practices to facilitate transition preparation, transfer of care, and integration into adult-centered health care.

– What happens when my child turns 18? See linked pdf from Boston Children Hospital that breaks down the basics of guardianship.

Resources for Food Support:

SNAP-Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
Do you need help buying groceries every month?
Could you be eligible?
Income is just one of the eligibility factors considered in your application. If you meet these income requirements, it does not mean you are definitely eligible for SNAP benefits, however it gives you a rough estimate.

Household Size

Gross Monthly Income Limit

(200% of federal poverty level)

Each additional member+$787

Once you are approved, you’ll receive an EBT card (it works just like a debit card) so you can buy food at grocery stores, farmers markets, convenience stores, and anywhere you see “We Accept EBT” signs.

– HIP, the Healthy Incentives Program, is an innovative program that SNAP recipients can use to match their SNAP benefits dollar-for-dollar at farmers market, CSAs, and farm stands.

– Visit for more information about eligibility:SNAP Benefits Formerly Food Stamps
You can also reach out to the SNAP outreach team at (413) 992-6204 for additional information or assistance.


The Women, Infants & Children program (WIC) provides nutrition and health education, healthy food and other services free of charge to qualifying families. Apply online and for more information : WIC

WIC or 1-800-WIC-1007, (1-800-942-1007).

– Local WIC offices:

Food Banks:

Providing food to neighbors in Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden and Hampshire counties. These independent pantries, meal sites and shelters are at the forefront of emergency food assistance in our region. Food Bank WMA See below for details.

Community Resources:

Survival Centers and Family Resource Centers provide resources for multiple needs, including food, housing, utilities, and healthcare. Please note that all resource centers are open to everyone regardless of what town you live in, but some services like food pick up may be limited to the surrounding towns.

Amherst Survival Center
138 Sunderland Rd, Amherst, MA 01002
(413) 549-3968

Community Survival Center Indian Orchard
240 Main St, Indian Orchard, MA 01151
(413) 543-3930

Gandara Springfield Family Resource Center
18 Gaucher Street Springfield, MA 01109
(413) 733-7699

Northampton Survival Center
265 Prospect St. Northampton, MA
(413) 586-6564

Parent/Caregiver Supports:

– Parents Helping Parents Support Group
Parental Stress Line and Parent Support groups
(800) 632-8188(24 hours a day/7 days a week)

– MCPAP for Moms partners with William James College Interface Referral Service to develop and maintain community-based resources to support mothers and fathers experiencing mental health issues related to the challenges of becoming parents. Interface maintains a comprehensive listing of support groups by geographic area. It is important to call before planning to attend a support group as the dates and times of groups change frequently.
MCPAP for Moms partners with William James College

– Healthy Families is a home visiting program that supports young, first-time parents ages 20 and under and helps them create stable, nurturing environments for their children. The program provides support during pregnancy and the child's first three years of life. Home visitors teach parents about baby care, nurturing and attachment, effective parenting skills, and ensure parents have a solid understanding of healthy child development
Healthy Families

Housing Resources:

Emergency Shelter services please call 800-632-8188 and speak with a homeless coordinator There is no application form for emergency services online, you must call for assistance and visit the service center the coordinator directs you to, to apply. For more information on Emergency Housing Assistance and to contact for help see: Massachusetts Emergency Housing Assistance.

Way Finders
322 Main Street, Springfield, MA 01105
(413) 233-1500
(800) 332-9667
Fax: (413) 731-8723

The Impact Center
41 Taylor St, Springfield, MA 01103
(open Mon/Wed 10-5, Tues/Thurs 10-6)
Contact: Emily English or Mark Watkins at Gandara center (413)654-1554

Housing Guide for Massachusetts

Fuel Assistance:

Fuel assistance application centers are location based, please locate your town listed below, and contact the center for information on fuel assistance and how to apply.

– Valley Opportunity Council
300 High St Holyoke MA 01040
(413) 552-1548
Location: Agawam, Chicopee, E.Longmeadow, Feeding Hills, Hampden, Holyoke, Longmeadow, Ludlow, Monson, Palmer, Southwick, Three Rivers, W.Springfield, Westfield, Wilbraham

– New England Farm Workers Council
1666 Main St, Springfield MA 01103
Location: Springfield, Indian Orchard
For first time applicants please apply online at NEFWC
For repeat applicants call (413) 227-2209

– Community Action Pioneer Valley
377 Main St, Greenfield, MA 01301
Location: Amherst, Belchertown, Cummington, Deerfield, Easthmapton, Florence, Granby, Greenfield, Hadley, Hatfield, Leeds, Leverette, Northampton, South Deerfield, South Hadley, Southampton, Sunderland, Turners Fall, Ware, Westhampton, Whately, Williamsburg)
Community Action Pioneer Valley

– Springfield Water and Sewer Commission
(413) 452-1300
Email to apply for payment arrangements - email:
If receiving fuel assistance and assessed owner of single family home- apply for one-time discount of $125 (proof required) by phone call

Information you may need when applying for Fuel Assistance:
(Picture ID, Social Security Card, Dates of Birth, Income should be for EVERY person in the house)
– Picture ID
– Social Security Card
– Dates of Birth
– Heating Bill
– Utility Bill
– Housing Costs (rent, mortgage, water, sewer, ect)
– Proof of Income

Other Fuel Assistance Programs:

– Good Neighbor Energy Fund: Provides a one-time grant to people who are in temporary financial crisis.1-800-262-1320
– Catholic Charities 1-413-732-3175
– Call
– Wayfinders-rent and mortgage assistance - 413-233-1600

“Need-to-know" information
– Heat Services can NOT be shut off for nonpayment during the months of November- March
– If anyone in the household is 12 months and under, utilities will not be terminated, however documentation of birth certificate and financial hardship form may be request by the company
– Elderly 65 years and older will not have utility services terminated unless the company gets permission from the Department of Public Utilities Fuel Assistance Application Centers
(please contact the location where your town is listed)