Safety is always a top priority!!!
- Secure your child in a child safety seat or booster seat until at least age 8 as required by law.
- Teens and adults should always wear seatbelts as well.
- Protect your child’s skin with sunscreen…over 30 SPF is recommended. Reapply if swimming or sweating. Remember every sunburn doubles your skin cancer risk.
- Protect against disease transmission from mosquitoes and tick bites by wearing protective clothing, remaining indoors during dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active, and using insect repellants with DEET (15 to 30%) or Picaridin 10 to 20% is safe to use over the age of 6 months.
- Wear helmets if biking, rollerblading, skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding etc. (reduces risk of traumatic brain injury). Set an example as a parent by wearing your helmet too!
- Water safety precautions: never swim alone, teach your children how to swim/take swimming lessons.
- Keep medications and home chemicals out of reach for children and keep the poison control number handy at home and on your cell phone (1-800-222-1222).